The knee is divided into three major compartments known as the medial, lateral, and patello-femoral compartments. The words medial and lateral are anatomical terms used to identify the location of a part with respect to the midline of the body. Medial is closer while later is farther away from the body’s midline. Uniknee replacement is a partial knee replacement surgery in which only one of the above mentioned compartments is replaced due to irreparable damage.
Uniknee Replacement Surgery By Percentages
A cursory glance into the history of knee replacements suggests that in more than 30 years many poorer designs have been tried and replaced with more competent designs. The medical surgery preserves the cruciate ligaments and the following percentages have been observed –
- 80% of the Uni-knee compartmental replacements are for medial compartments.
- 10% of Uni-knee compartment replacements are for Patello-femoral compartment.
- 10% of Uni-knee compartment replacements are for lateral compartment.
Uni-Compartmental Knee Replacement Procedure
The surgery involves the replacement of half of the femur or thigh bone ending and half of the top of the shin bone or tibia with metal components. The metal parts, made of cobalt chrome, now provide the function of knee joint. A polyethylene plastic insertion is also made between the metal parts to provide cushion. The bones and the insertions are cemented together with provision for the knee to bend after recovery. Surgeons also shift to total knee replacement intra-operatively if they notice too much arthritis. The patients are provided necessary information beforehand to assist them in making a correct decision.
Advantages Of Uniknee Replacement Surgery
- Only smaller number of patients are usually treated using this method as the surgeons apply strict qualification criteria.
- The patients who underwent this surgery have recovered much quickly as compared to the more standard knee replacement surgery.
- The surgeons and operating staff have noticed less bleeding in this form of surgery.
- The patients and the surgeons both claim that there is a more natural feel to the whole operating procedure.
What Is The Custom Uniknee Replacement Procedure?
The advancements in electronic, computing, and information technology have benefitted the medical profession in many different ways. The medical procedures and techniques have become more sophisticated with the help of these technologies. A custom Uniknee replacement procedure is one such medical advancement that is steadily gaining in popularity. The following sequence of steps are involved in this procedure –
- A pre-operative scan is conducted to accurately determine the size, shape, and curvature of the patient’s knee.
- The computer-generated images are electronically transmitted to the company that produces orthopaedic devices.
- The company manufactures the implant with the identical shape matching the existing knee.
- The custom implant is shipped back to the surgeon within 6 weeks for replacement surgery.
When Is The Uniknee Replacement Surgery Performed ?
Experienced surgeons resort to partial resurfacement technique i.e. Uniknee replacement surgery based on scientific data collected using leading-edge technology. The aim of the partial knee surgery is to replace or resurface the damaged portion of the knee while at the same time conserving both the knee ligaments and unaffected cartilage. The replacement is called an implant or prosthesis and it is conducted based on the following criteria –
- Patients who suffer from arthritis which is confined only to a single knee compartment are eligible for this surgery.
- Those who are morbidly obese are advised to refrain from undergoing the Uniknee replacement surgery.
- The surgery is appropriate only if there is no marked stiffness in the patient’s knee.
- Patients with angular deformity are also disqualified from this surgery.